Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Active Duty.



I really got down to business this weekend and knocked out two of my 30 before 30 items.  Taking a Bikram Yoga class (#4) and joining Crossfit (#1).  I had my intro session to Crossfit this past Saturday along with seven other interested folks. There was a lengthy explanation of what to expect, and then we got into a "baseline workout"- 500m row, 40 squats (no weight), 30 sit ups, 20 push ups and 10 pull ups.  


I took stock of my competition-4 pretty fit looking men, 2 women I thought I could easily handle and 1 woman that looked like a wild card.  I figured I'd at least beat two of the woman and maybe one of the guys.  


Wrong.  I came in second to last.  


The instructor wrapped up the session, explained the pricing structure, told us to think about the commitment and email her if we were interested.  
I practically ran up to her and threw my credit card at her saying "I don't ever want to come in second to last again!"  Oh the shame.


Bikram.  My goal was just to make it through the class without leaving the 105 degree 40% humidity room.  I started off strong, but the five glasses of wine I'd had the night before hit me around the 22nd of 26 postures.  I alternated between sitting up and laying down for the rest of the class, but... I didn't leave the room!  Feeling less than stellar about my athletic abilities, I signed up for a month of unlimited classes.


So I guess the way to get me to open my wallet is to have me fail miserably at something.  Shame sure is expensive.

No comments: