Thursday, July 10, 2008

Review of The Viceroy Palm Springs

I'm back from my long weekend at The Viceroy, and I'm not happy about it. I was definitely considering sticking around for another couple of days, but alas...work called to me.  
I loved the vibe, the relaxing days in the sun, the poolside drink service, and the attractive company....I did not; however, love the one thing I came to the Viceroy for....the decor.  I posted a "DIY" version of the Viceroy before I left, and believe me when I tell you that the DIY version would probably match the original pretty well.  The old Hollywood glamour concept is fun, there's no doubt about that, but the execution left a lot to be desired.  For instance, in the guest rooms there are black rectangular "frames" painted on the walls and ceilings.  This is a great idea...if you're broke and can't do any better...KWID (who did the interior design), could have done better and didn't.  My two other interior design friends and I agreed that it would have looked so much more polished and chic if those faux frames were actual frames.  Our other complaints included a rather ghetto pool area, although we really did enjoy our time there (maybe it was the pineapple/peach mojitos starting at 10:30am) and also the oversight of not replacing existing window and door frames...it just made it look a little sloppy.  We all agreed, though, that the bright orange doors were pretty sweet and the white washed terra cotta tiles were a solid solution and one we hadn't thought of employing previously in our own work.  
Overall, I give the Viceroy Palm Springs an A+ for concept and a great experience and a B- for decor.

No comments: